Greenhead Park was formally opened with great pomp and ceremony on 27 September 1884, although efforts to provide a public park in the area began more than 15 years before that. From 1870, thanks to the efforts of Alderman Thomas Denham, the people of Huddersfield were able to enjoy access to about 15 acres of the parkland of Greenhead Hall which he had personally leased from the owners, the Ramsden estate. This early park hosted band concerts, flower shows and galas just as Greenhead Park does today, although animals continued to graze alongside the recreational uses!
Alderman Denham’s aim was always to secure a proper public park for Huddersfield, and negotiations to purchase the necessary land started between the Council and the Ramsden Estate as early as 1869. But it was not until January 1881, after seemingly endless discussions, that the Huddersfield Corporation finally sealed the deal to purchase 30 acres of land from the Ramsden estate (the present park as we know it apart from the area where the bowling greens and tennis courts now sit).
Planning of the park was placed in the hands of the Borough Surveyor, Richard Dugdale, who took responsibility for every aspect of the design – the lay-out, the buildings and even the park benches. Most of the main features were ready for the official opening and many of these survive to this day, including the entrance lodge, Italian Gardens and fountain, the main lake (filled in in 1954 but restored in 2010) and the octagonal bandstand.
Important later additions to the park were the Boer War Memorial, unveiled in 1905, and the massive Great War Memorial in 1924. The inter-war period saw the park extended to its present size with the addition of two bowling greens, fourteen tennis courts, two putting greens and a pavilion housing a cafe and changing rooms. The fine conservatory was another striking new feature, opened in August 1930 by the Chairman of Parks, Alderman Albert Woolven.
Originally the park had five lakes or ponds, of which two survive -the recently restored main lake and next largest, now a children’s paddling pool. The other three, on sites now occupied by the conservatory and the rose garden, were all filled in by 1930.
There were no more major changes to the park, apart from the removal of the gates and railings in 1940 to be melted down for the war effort (though it is not clear whether any good use was made of them!). However the park is now surrounded by railings again – though of a plainer design than the originals – and exact replicas of the two main gates have been re-installed too as part of the major restoration project carried out in 2010.
Heritage information in the park
A series of ten information boards -like the one pictured above – tell visitors more about the main historic features of the park. A leaflet showing the locations of the boards is available at both the park cafes, or you can download it here.
There’s also a 6-panel display in the Conservatory about the Park through the years, produced by the Friends of Greenhead Park.
Want to know more?
There is much interesting information which has not been covered in this very brief history of Greenhead Park. There is more information in a book, Secured for the Town: The story of Huddersfield’s Greenhead Park published by the Friends in March 2011. This book, written by local historian and member of the Friends, David Griffiths, tells the story of Greenhead Park from its earliest days to its renovation in 2010. As well as relating the main events in the Park’s history, the book includes childhood recollections and numerous historical photographs, while five ‘park heroes’ are honoured in short biographical notes. The book also mentions some of the firms involved in creating the park – those who would like more details can consult our list of ‘makers’ of the park.
Secured for the Town is now sold out but you are free to download this electronic version.
The Friends have also published a history of Greenhead Hall, part of whose extensive grounds became the Greenhead Park we know today. Huddersfield’s Best Address costs just £4 from local bookshops, or direct from the Friends at our Wednesday drop-in session and at Friends’ meetings and events. It’s available by post too – at £4.95 including P&P – from Friends of Greenhead Park, c/o Refreshment Rooms, Greenhead Park, Huddersfield HD1 4HS.
If you’d like to see more historic photographs of Greenhead Park, including early postcards, you’ll find a good collection in the Kirklees Image Archive. There are also some fascinating aerial photos of the park, taken between 1926 and 1934, on the Britain from Above website.
A programme of free lunchtime History Hours is organised by the Friends and anyone interested in local history is welcome to come along. These sessions are on the first Wednesday of the month, from May to November, from 12.30pm to 1.30pm at the Greenhead Park Community Room.
To complement archive information about the Park, we worked with Chris Webb from the Centre for Oral History Research at the University of Huddersfield to collect people’s memories of the Park and how it has been used over the years.
Chris put together some of the memories he recorded into an audiotour of the Park which you can borrow from the Friends of Greenhead Park. Contact us for more details.